My name is Gemini Girl. OK- It’s not my actual name. I decided to use the moniker GG because, well, I’m a Gemini. Then, while writing this blog, I became pregnant with twin girls. So the name Gemini Girl may have been a premonition. It stuck.
I write a lot from my gut and my heart. I dont like to be censored. That is why I dont use my actual name.
Where I’m from:
My parents were born in Israel, and my older brother and I in New York. I grew up in a hardcore Israeli household (go ask your Israeli friends what that means), so I am equal parts American and Crazy. I have a dual citizenship and hop back and forth between countries. Currently we live in Israel (moved here mid 2010) and will exit stage left back to New York when my husband earns his degree in a zillion years from now.
I married my childhood crush. AWWW…
Our parents had been friends prior to our births, and he was born and raised in Israel. During the summers when my family would visit Israel, my husband and I would play together (As kids). As we got older, I formed a huge crush on him. He disliked me. Then one day when I was 20, I guess he changed his mind. I no longer had the braces and afro I once had.
We had a long distance relationship for 2-3 years, before we finally decided to get married and live in the same country.
My husband decided to get a degree after dropping out of high school at the age of 16. Currently he is a Mechanical Engineering Major.
OK- So I’m a mother. I try not to let motherhood define who I am, but it really is all that people ask me about since the girls were born.
I struggled with infertility for a while and went the IVF route only to become pregnant with twin girls shortly thereafter.
My girls entered the world when I was on my 6th week of hospital bed rest . They were born 10 weeks too soon and were in the NICU for 6 weeks.
I especially love it when people ask “Are they twins”?
“No- the one on my left is my grandmother. She’s visiting from Bocca. Thought I’d take her on a little stroll”.
Neve is my oldest daughter/twin. She looks JUST like her father. Dont believe me?
Neve is a DRAMA QUEEN. She is kind of like a baby boss. I think she would have loved it if she were born a singleton and not had to share the attention with her twin sister.
She is opinionated and knows what she wants.
I love that she is so stubborn. Reminds me of a little me.
She has a blanket named Sheepy that she needs to sleep with. She shoves it in her mouth and falls asleep. The sheepy smells like ass.
Soleil is my Mini-Me. She stayed in the NICU much longer than her sister due to complications with breathing. Of course, you wouldn’t know that today.
She has an old soul.
She has a lot of empathy and worries about the world.
She loves playing and sharing.
Oh- and lest I forget that she ADORES putting on pretty dresses and accessories. I finally have a partner in shopping crime.
I cant spell.
I hate using apostrophes because it adds more time.
I am a manager in a media company. It’s a lot of work and I love it. But I am tired yo.
I love cartoons.
My husband is my best friend and I love him but he can piss me off like no one else.
Like when he brushes their hair and leaves hair all over the sink.
Other women would not complain and say “hey, at least he brushes their hair”.
I am not one of those women.
I believe that both men and women should raise a child. It’s not just the woman’s job -especially if she works out of the home.
I am a TV trivia fiend. I know way too much useless information.
I love gummy candy.
50 random facts about me:
1. When I was in the 5th grade, I purchased globe earrings (you know, earrings shaped like a globe?
Before my teacher walked in, she called me aside and said that they were “inappropriate” and proceeded to tell me to remove them. I never wore them again.
2. I used to have a belly button ring. I took it out when I had one of my surgeries, and it never made its way back. The hole is closed now. Of course, with my deflated balloon belly- it would not look too sexy today.
3. I don’t eat beef. Neither does my husband.
4. When I was a teen, I LOVED Contempo Casuals. It was the best store.
5. As a child, I had several diaries. I loved the creative outlet.
6. In my diaries, I would leave messages for my “future children” so that if they were to read it once I had passed, it would sort of be a “message from beyond”.
7. I love baking- and am only starting to get good at it now.
8. You know you’re not a good baker when your husband begs you NOT to bake.
9. My favorite shows on TV are “The Office” and “Family Guy”
10. My guilty pleasure show is “Real Housewives of ATLANTA”
11. I could be best friends with NeNe.
12. I have been told that I have a good voice.
13. I once sang the national anthem in front of a few hundred people in my college, and I successfully hit the high note.
14. I wish there was a tape of it.
15. I don’t think I should have worn sequined jeans while I sang it.
16. I have super curly hair. I have to get it blow dried every week at a salon because it is THAT curly.
17. One of my daughters inherited my hair.
18. We knew they were going to have it. My husband and I both have “challenged hair”
19. The sad thing about that? My brother has straight hair, and so do my husband’s 3 siblings. We totally lost out on the straight hair gene
20. As I had mentioned before, I knew my husband as a child. One day while at his house (I was about 8) while my brother was playing with my husband and his brother, my husband came out to the living room where I was sitting and told me to come and “play” with them- which entailed jumping on their beds.
21. Today, if my husband were to ask me to “play” with him, I don’t think it would mean jumping up and down on the mattress… or would it?
22. When I was in the first grade, I was doing homework and watching jeopard*y (I probably wasn’t actually watching it). I had a bad habit of chewing on my pens. On this particular night, I had chewed through the clear plastic pen, when suddenly, I had cut open the roof of my mouth. I bled so much and was taken to the ER.
23. Until this day, I have a bump on the roof of my mouth with a piece of pen logged in there.
24. Because I couldn’t eat due to the deep cut I had, my mother made me soup. She told me that if I were to finish the bowl, she would go out and buy me a cabbage patc*h doll. I called her on her bluff, and she actually went out, in the snow, and purchased one for me. (That was nice mom)
25. She purchased the baby cabbage patch, which happened to be the “preemie collection”.
26. It was my favorite doll. Eerie isn’t it? (seeing as though my girls were preemies)
Still have it until this day- of course mine is naked
27. Before my grandparents met (mom’s parents), my grandfather was supposed to go on a date with my grandmother’s sister. Since her sister fell ill (and of course there were no pay phones around), she sent my grandmother in her place to tell him that she couldn’t make it. One look at my grandmother, and my grandfather was hooked. It took a lot of persuading, but my grandmother went out on a date with him.
28. My mother was pregnant before I was conceived and miscarried at 2 months. She then became pregnant with me two months later. If she hadn’t miscarried.. I wouldn’t be here today.
29. I love candy. I could do without chocolate, but I love gummy worms, and bears and frogs…
30. I was once in an Asian market, and saw a bin that said $5.99 a pound. On further inspection, there were live frogs in there! Poor frogs.
31. I still shudder at that memory.
32. I can be somewhat sarcastic.
33. My best friend is one of the most amazing people I ever met. When I was in college and my first boyfriend broke my heart so bad I couldn’t breathe and all I wanted to do was leave and run far away (but I had no money so couldn’t)… she literally bought me a plane ticket out of the country and gave me spending money.
34. Her daughter was born the day that I found out I was finally pregnant- May 11th.
35. Me and Angelina Jolie share the same birthday and both had twins. But why couldnt we share Brad Pitt?
36. Today I am wearing a long, leafy-print tunic. I look like Mrs. Roper.
37. I don’t feel like a “mother” yet. Whatever that means.
38. I never check expiration dates at the grocery store. I know I should, even when the milk is in my hand. I guess I’m lazy.
39. Surprisingly, I have hardly purchased anything that was expired.
40. I have never eaten: Pork, Shellfish;lobster, crabs, shrimp, cheeseburger, or any meat cooked in dairy products. Eating those items above is considered not kosher. And although, I’m not so religous, this is something I keep.
41. It’s hard explaining this to waiters at restaurants so when I ask if their chicken is cooked with butter, and they have a puzzled look on their face- I say that I am lactose intolerant.
42. I am the worst speller. If it weren’t for spellcheck, this blog would be full of spelling errors. (which would make you think an uneducated person was behind the keyboard). Surprisingly, I am well educated.
43. I LOVE the food network.
44. I flunked out of Greek Mythology (a core at my college) twice. The final time: I got an A.
45. I had a traditional Yemenite marriage ceremony a week before my wedding. It is called a Henna. I wore crazy traditional garb:
46. One might say that I had a flair for the dramatics as a child:
47. I truly don’t get women that stand on the salad line and get a healthy, leafy, green salad- only to top it off with the most fattening ranch or blue cheese dressing. Don’t they know that they are better off having a burger?
49. I have met some of the most amazing people via blogging.
50. I can probaly sing every theme song to every sitcom from the 80’s and 90’s. You need me to sing the theme from “Going Places” ABC’S failed sitcom from the 90’s starring Heather Locklear prior to her Melrose Place stint- you found your girl!
If you want to reach me.. to shoot the sh*t , or to become my new BFF – send me an email!
GeminiGirlBlog at AOL dot Com