As Ive mentioned before- my husband and I have a 5 year plan. It goes something like this:
Husband gets his degree in mechanical engineering (which is in at least 2.5 yrs)
We move back to Israel.
We move into his father’s home: large house with two separate apts- we would get a 3 bedroom, two bath apt- RENT FREE.
Find jobs (I already have a wonderful hook up into the industry I want).
Raise our children and fly to Europe often.
Reasons I want to move to Israel:
- I get to live in a big house rent free for at least 2-3 years while we save some serious cash for a home.
- Get to live in a farm town on my husband’s family’s estate- green everywhere- very relaxing.
- Will be neighbors with my husband’s brother and wife- with their kids (which includes a 7 year old and a set of twin cousins who are 5 months younger than the girls- instant playmates!)
- Being able to see the sunrise and sunset from your backyard.
- Having an abundance of babysitters (aunts, cousins, sister in laws) to watch the kids when you have to make a quick run.
- Having a HUGE family to celebrate birthdays and holidays with.
- Being able to let me kids run around and play in the grass, dirt, sand.
- Having my stock value go up on the career side- I mean my resume and the companies I have worked for speak for themselves and being able to speak Hebrew & English is a MAJOR plus these days. There I can be a BIG FISH in a SMALL POND.
- Being able to take a year or two off when we first move there to be home with the kids & possibly having another baby to enjoy time with instead of going back to work right away.
- The food there is AMAZING. When you eat a tomato, you kind of realize what a tomato is really supposed to taste like.
Reasons Why I want to stay in the US:
- I know my way around these here parts.
- English is my first language- I’m not too funny in Hebrew like I am in English- shut up.
- I sometimes feel like a little fish in a big pond at work.
- It would take us longer to buy a home here than it would there.
- Buying anything over a size 6 is almost IMPOSSIBLE as for the most part- everyone is tiny (but that will be a plus for my wallet I suppose).
- The Israeli Mentality can be a bit much for me. People can be RUDE. An example of this: 6 months after giving birth to my twins we went to Israel for a visit. Everyone who saw me (and KNEW I had given birth to twins) said “Wow- you gained a lot of weight!”… umm, really? I kind of just had twins.
- You dont have to drive everywhere in NYC… you have the public transportation system.
Have any of you ever wanted to just up and leave the country?